The tasks and powers of the Council
General powers and tasks:
The Council exerts the best of efforts to achieve the association’s objectives and its general objectives as set out in article no. (6), namely:
A. the organization of practicing the profession in order to increase its scientific and professional level. Thus utilizing this organization for the economic, cultural and national development.
B. Defending and safe guarding the interests of the association’s members and their dignity as well as maintaining the traditions of the profession and its honor.
C. Upgrading the scientific and professional level of engineers and stimulating and supporting the engineering scientific research.
D. Contributing to the planning and development of engineering, industrial and professional education and training programs and working to raise the efficiency of workers in the engineering field.
E. Contributing to the study of topics of common nature between the Arab and Islamic countries and others and exchanging the information, experience and engineering publications among them.
F. Securing a decent life for the engineers and their families in cases of disability, aging and other emergency cases.
G. Working on all that assists the association to achieve its professional objectives.
H. Cooperation and coordination with official bodies in the Kingdom in the association capacity as an advisory body in the field of its specialization.
I. Cooperation and coordination with the Arab, Islamic and international engineering professional federations and the participation in its membership.
Each of these objectives needs outstanding programs, plans and efforts in order to achieve it.
The tasks and powers specified in the law:
• Accepting the Jordanian Engineers and registering them and monitoring the performance of the legal oath.
• Accepting the Arab and foreign engineers and organizing the practice of the engineering work for them.
• Organizing the initiation of records for the various existing branches of engineering and adding other branches.
• Managing the practice of the profession for Jordanian and non-Jordanian consulting offices and monitoring their performance.
• The registration of the non-Jordanian engineering contracting companies.
• Overseeing the preparation of the final financial account for the ended fiscal year as well as preparing the draft budget for the next fiscal year so as to be presented to the Central commission and the General commission.
• Preparing for the election of association’s bodies and councils at all levels of the association.
• Appointing the association’s Secretary-General.
• Appointing the chairmen of the association’s committees.
• Implementing the decisions issued by the association, signing the contracts, litigating on behalf of the association, taking the capacity of the plaintiff or complainant in each case relating to acts affecting the dignity of the association or the dignity of one of its members (all of this is attained through the representation of the Chairman for the association council).
• Holding a meeting to discuss the management of the association (at least two meetings a month).
In fact, the Council held two meetings each week.
• The Association Council field of specialization includes all matters relating to the profession of engineering, in particular:
A. Supervising the association branches’ councils, the divisions’ boards, the offices commission and the engineering companies, considering its recommendations and taking appropriate decisions thereon.
This article no. (41) Of the law is deemed to be as one of the most important and enforcing items of the Association’s Law regarding the administration of the association.
B. Maintaining the principles of the profession and its traditions and defending the rights of the association, its interests, and the dignity of its members and staff.
C. Administering the affairs of the association and its funds and collecting the fees and other imports that are due and investing these funds in the manner which the council deems appropriate.
This article gives the council’s broad horizons and prospects for the management of the association’s funds.
D. Managing the affairs of the Pension Fund, the Social Insurance Fund, the Health Insurance Fund and any other fund that would be established under the provisions of this law and collecting its revenues and investing these revenues; the council may delegate in written any of its powers specified in this paragraph to the Management Committee of any Fund.
E. Developing regulations projects with different objectives and themes in order to implement the objectives of this law and presenting these objectives to the Central commission.
F. Calling for meetings of the General commission and the Central Commission and following up their recommendations and the implementation of their decisions.
G. Discussing the recommendations of the divisions’ council, offices commission council and engineering companies which are related to professional conflicts, including the specification of fees allowance and distribution of fees shared between the offices.
H. Imposing the sanctions and taking the required disciplinary actions against members, offices or engineering companies under this law and the regulations issued thereunder.
I. Considering everything related to the profession such as:
• Appointing the staff and determining their salaries.
• Owning or renting what the association needs of movable or immovable property.
• Determining the minimum requirements that must be provided in the engineering work in the field of studies, designs and auditing and supervising the implementation as well as defining the rate of the minimal engineering fees.
• Deciding on the recommendations of the engineering divisions councils with regard to the technical and financial services.
• Conducting trials in the capacity of the council as a disciplinary council and bringing the disciplinary action against the member, engineer, office or engineering company.
• The Board shall oversee the association’s funds and shall collect them, deposit and invest them, including the funds of the pension fund and the social insurance, and shall propose to the central commission to determine the amount of fees and approve the expenses disbursement required by the management of the association within the limits of the appropriations allocated in its budget and shall settle all other financial matters related to the association; in any emergency circumstances the board has the right to issue one annex or more for the budget to pay for some contingent expenses, provided that this annex shall be shown and presented to the central commission in its first meeting after the issuance of the annex.
Other tasks and powers:
Directing the association’s activities (scientific, professional, cultural, and social).
Working on providing training and employment opportunities for engineers.
Conducting a number of meetings and visits (engineering divisions, branches, liaison committees).
Conducting Meetings and visits to other association bodies, civil society organizations, firms and investors.
The representation of the association in the committees and bodies.
The representation of the association in joint committees with governmental ministries and corporations.
Where the committees joint with the Public Works and Housing Ministry reached up to (25) committees and other ministries and corporations reached up to (38) committees.
The representation of the association in joint committees with corporations of the private sector and universities which reached up to (28) committees.
The representation of the association in national events and celebrations.
The representation of the association in committees of the Professional Associations Complex and its activities as follows:
• The association has played an active and pivotal role in the activities of the Professional Associations Complex and the activities of its committees, this confirms the association’s professional and national role and enhances the bright image of the complex and its positive active presence in the life of our country and our nation at all levels.
• The association has continued its activities in the complex across the board of chairmen, the Supervising Commission and the Executive Committee.
• The association has participated in the activities and events of the national forum of professional associations, the higher coordinating committee of the national opposition parties and the Jordanian national mobilization committee for the defense of Iraq and the resistance.
• The participation in all the permanent committees of the complex and any other temporary committees to be formed for specific purposes such as:
* The Association’s Investment Committee
* The Association’s Consumer Protection Committee
* The Associations Pension Funds Federation Building firm
* The Association’s Freedom Committee
* The Cultural Committee
* Palestine Committee
* The Homeland Protection Committee
* Iraq Committee.
* The Committee for the Evaluation of the Complex and Land as well
as the Professional Federation Building.
* The Committee of the Development of the Local Community.
* The Jordanian Youth Parliament Preparatory Committee
• The association has participated through its association’s commissions or its members in the events and activities which express the professional and demands attitudes and stands of colleagues and associations or solidarity activities such as marches, demonstrations, protests and halting of the course of work that expressed the national feelings towards the issues of our country and our nation, as well as the participation in performing communal Friday prayer and Eid prayer in the complex, fasting and ascetic Iftar( Ramadan breakfast).
• Communicating with engineers abroad and providing services to them.
• Representing the association in the Federation of the Arab Engineers and Arab engineering commissions, where the association participates in the following association commissions:
• The Presidency of the Arab Commission for the Qualification and Classification of Engineers.
• Presidency of the Offices Commission and Arab Consultancy Engineering Institutions.
• Rapporteur of the Federal Iraq Support Committee.
• Rapporteur of the Federal Anti-Normalization Committee.
• Rapporteur of the Federal Palestine and Intifada Support Committee.
• The Membership of the Executive Committee of the Arab Offices Commission.
• The Membership of the Executive Committee of the Arab Architects Commission.
• As well as its participation in the membership of the following federal committees:
•Information and publishing, engineering education, energy, communications and informatics, resisting normalization with the Zionist enemy, Iraq support, environment, Arab architects commission, Palestine and intifada support, Arab offices commission, revenues, codes, water and water resources, preparations for expatriates and exhibitions.
• The association participates in its capacity as an observer in the meetings of the Council of Arab Ministers of Housing and Construction and its bodies at the invitation of the Secretariat of the Arab League - the Technical Secretariat of the mentioned council.
• The association has participated in the meeting of the General Commission of the Arab Arbitration Chamber of the Engineering and Constructing Contracts.
• The representation the association in the Engineering Organizations Federation in the Muslim world.
• The participation in the social events for engineers and others.
• The representation of the association in the Boards of Directors of companies which the association contributes in (noting that the disbursed bonuses to the members of the Boards of Directors shall belong to the association’s fund).
• The Follow-up of the engineers’ issues in the fields of human rights (prison, prevention from work, withdrawal of nationality).
• Confronting all attempts to undermine the status of the association and its professional and national role.
• Responding to inquiries made by the colleagues and interviewing them and responding to their calls.
• Assisting in cases of deprivation, need and humanitarian aids for engineers.
• Negotiating with the services providers for the association.